lunes, 15 de marzo de 2010

self.showOff(:university)




Right after I joined the University, I realized that I would not have to much time for game modding anymore. So I started to take my classes very seriously. I did not do much in the first years, The first 2 years it was basically pure maths, honestly I wish I had more maths, because I am still not so good at it.



I spent my free time learning how to use Linux and helping some gaming communities setting up their game servers and playing online games (Ohhhh, beware of the evil mmorpgs, the root of all evil!!! Just kidding). Actually its a good way to meet people around the world and learn English.



Theres a lot of things to change and improve concerning the current University education system in Paraguay, but I will focus on the good things. The best thing of my education was very rigorous evaluation system it had.



Most of the Computer Science assignments had very crazy exams where the students were suppose to solved very hard assignment related problems in a couple hours, from designing, implementing and calculating space/time complexity of algorithms (All in the same exam), creating new mixed data structures to solve typical computer science problems or maybe just random problems that the professor had at work (yes, creating and implementing included) or just to make formal probes of why randomly created Turing machines just beat you.



Anyways, I am very glad I had the chance to dedicate full time to this academic matters. Read a lot of great books, including Herbert Schildt C's Reference, Deitel & Deitel C++ Guide, Tanenbaum's Computer Networks and Modern Operating systems, The OpenGL Redbook, Carlo Ghezzi's Theorical Foundations of Computer Science, Russell's Artificial Intelligence: A modern aproach and many others including a lot of math books.



So I basically surfed over many Computer Science fields, year by year loving it more. There were plenty of projects I enjoyed so much working together with my colleagues, from writing a multi-player version of Stratego in C, implementing my own version of basically all common data structures, developing small projects using many programing languages like C, C++, Ruby, Python, C#, Delphi, Prolog and Haskell, solving a few of the Kernel Project for Linux Book, implementing classic data mining algorithm, writing an custom version of iptables--, a very reduced subset of C to Ruby translator, implementing genetic algorithms to evolve transition rules for cellular automatons (Paper, Spanish required) and even boring web applications.



The last 2 years I started teaching at the University as Professor's assistant, and had a lot of fun doing it, also went to a lot of conferences and participated in many free software festivals. But by far, the best I found during that time was a very few passionate, dedicated and inspiring professors and studies partners, to which I own most of my success.



No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario