domingo, 14 de marzo de 2010

self.showOff(:game_modifications)

Under the "GGO" and some other silly aliases and as I mentioned in my last post, my first passionate computer related work was to support Quake III (or derivate engines) game mods.

In almost of these game mods my job was to make good quality maps (levels, scenarios, or whatever else its called). Looking back I am still very proud of my work, considering all the limitations of Quake III, had to deal with very different fields (Programming, 2D art, 3D art techniques and Architectural principles).



My first project consisted on a Quake III modification called "Saviour of Strength" (the original web site is no longer hosted, but amazingly there are still a lot of content published in modding communities). Basically, it was supposed to be a player vs player combat game plus a few RPG elements, based on Dragon Ball Z anime series. Back then I did not understand the copyright concept, he he, I was thinking more like an "Professional Art Fan" creation.

Over the 4 years I worked on that project released more than 10 maps, some of them were never seen, other were featured on very popular websites like www.planetquake.com.



In the last years of my "Mapper" career I started or joined other projects such as "Rurouni Kenshin Redemption", another anime combat game and many others which names I can't even remember.

As I mentioned before, in the later 2003 I stopped all serious work, and started spending more time on university matters.



One of the most interesting aspects of this kind of work is that you never forget how to do it and even with years of inactivity you always come back with greater skills and ideas.



The tools I used were, GtkRadiant for the basic structure design and game internals, Terragen for the sky boxes, EasyGen for terrain generation and any text editor for the shaders and sometimes 3DStudio for fancy renders.

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario